The Laboratory Design group of publications and events, founded in 1996 by the editors of R&D magazine, exists to serve the needs of the entire R&D/Laboratory community involved in the design, construction, and operation of laboratory facilities, including building owners and operators, high-level lab users and managers, and the building team (architects, engineers, consultants, and constructors). Our subscribers are involved in buildings owned by government, academia, and the private sector, devoted to research, teaching, clinical and forensic analysis, and QC/QA. Laboratory Design Newsletter works synergistically with R&D to provide in-depth coverage and vertical reach from the inception of the laboratory building (new, renovated, or adapted) through all aspects of continuing operations.
The editorial mission is to provide cutting-edge information on trends and techniques that make these mission-critical buildings more efficient, cost-effective, and functional. Our diverse content, created by experts in the industry, is delivered effectively through:
- Laboratory Design print newsletter. A concise bi-monthly newsletter covering breaking news, trends, technical articles, new projects, new products, case studies, coming events and more.
- Laboratory Design digital newsletter. An expanded digital issue that gives readers access to more news, features content, graphics, and more products that are easy to access and forward to colleagues and associates.
- Laboratory Design Connection. Bi-weekly e-newsletter, covering breaking news of interest to the laboratory design community.
- Laboratory Design Conference. An annual meeting featuring high-impact education, an expo of key products and services, and tours of new and renovated lab facilities. Fully accredited by the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the conference is a great opportunity for learning and networking with lab design/construction/management as well as building owners/facilities managers and building teams.
- Laboratory of the Year competition.For 47 years, R&D magazine has recognized excellence in laboratory design, materials, and construction through its Laboratory of the Year competition. The Laboratory Design staff assists in running this awards program, which identifies facilities displaying the most significant new design, building, and renovation trends.
These publications and events offer a unique mix of targeted information not provided by any other franchise.
Liz Vickers graduated in 1994 from the University of Richmond and began her career as a Marketing Director for a marketing research company where she developed a passion for working with clients and developing new customer relationships. In 1996, she made her first entry in the publishing industry as a Classified Sales Manager for PTN Publishing (now Cygnus Business Media). Through her 10 years with Cygnus Business Media , she moved up the ranks and in 2001 was made Publisher and then Group Publisher of the Photography Group (Studio Photography & Design, Photo Trade News and Digital Imaging). In December 2006, Liz joined Advantage Business Media as Publisher on Chem.Info. In 2008, Liz moved to the Publisher position on Laboratory Equipment and in January 2012 was made Group Publisher of Laboratory Equipment, ALN, ALN World, Forensic Magazine and DFI with Advantage Business Media’s acquisition of Vicon Publishing.
Tim Studt has been with Advantage Business Media for 25 years, the last 20 of which as Editor in Chief. Along with Laboratory Design Newsletter, Tim is also responsible for R&D Magazine and creating the annual Global R&D Funding Forecast. Tim’s editorial staff has won more than 30 business press awards, including the Jesse H. Neal National Business Journalism Award. Tim has launched multiple BTB publications and their associated print and electronic business media products. Tim has a BS in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering from Illinois Institute of Technology and an MBA from Lewis University.
Patrice Galvin is Editor of Laboratory Design Newsletter. She has worked in science and technology publishing since 2001 as Editor-in-Chief and founding editor of several publications and conference programs. During her years as Editorial Director for Vicon Publishing, Inc., Patrice's brands won multiple Tabbie Awards for B2B publications. Inquiries about editorial opportunities, multi-media, and relevant industry topics are welcome.
Lindsay coordinates production of the bi-weekly Laboratory Design Connection e-newsletter, assists with maintaining the Laboratory Design Website, and plays an integral role in the management of the annual Laboratory Design Conference. Lindsay is also the Managing Editor of R&D Magazine. Prior to working with R&D Magazine and Laboratory Design Newsletter, Lindsay was an Associate Editor with the magazine's sister publication, Drug Discovery and Development. Lindsay earned her B.A. in English from Messiah College, Grantham, Pa. While there, she was involved with the student newspaper, the college's Writing Center, The Collaboratory newsletter, many afterschool tutoring programs, a presentation during the 2006 Humanities Symposium, and her college's orchestra, among other activities.